After Permanent Crown or Bridge has been Cemented
You have just had a crown or fixed bridge cemented onto your teeth. They will replace your missing tooth structure or missing teeth very well and should give you years of service if you will observe the following suggestions:
1. Chewing: Do not chew hard foods on the restorations for 24 hour from the time they were cemented. The cement must be mature for about 24 hours to have optimum strength.
2. Sensitivity: Don’t worry about mild sensitivity to hot or cold foods. It will disappear gradually over a few weeks. Infrequently, sensitivity lasts longer than six weeks. Please tell us if this occurs.
3. Aggressive Chewing: Do not chew ice or other hard objects. Avoid chewing very sticky foods such as “hard tack” candies because they can remove restorations.
4. Preventive Procedures: To provide optimum longevity for your restorations and prevent future dental decay and supporting tissue breakdown, please use the following preventive procedures:
- Brush and floss after eating and before bedtime
- Use prescribed mouth rinse if advised by us
- Use fluoride gel as advised by us.
5. Recalls: Visit us for regular six month examinations. Often, small problems that are developing around the restorations can be found at an early stage and corrected easily, but waiting for a longer time may require redoing the entire restoration. Inadequate return for examination is the most significant reason for prostheses failure. We will want your recall appointment scheduled after this procedure, if it is not already scheduled.
6. Problems: If any of the following conditions occur, contact us immediately to avoid further problems:
- Movement or looseness in the restoration.
- Sensitivity to sweet foods.
- A peculiar taste from the restoration site.
- Breakage of a piece of material from the restoration.
- Sensitivity to pressure.
We have done our best to provide you with the finest quality of oral restoration available today. However, as with a fine automobile or watch, only your continuing care and concern can assure optimum service longevity.
Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions or concerns 901-751-1100.