It is very important to wear your retainers properly to ensure that your teeth and bite stay aligned. Follow these instructions for the care and use of your retainers so that they will last for many years!
- If you take your retainer out for any reason, please store it in the retainer case. NEVER put it in your pocket or wrap it in a napkin or cloth. This usually leads to broken or thrown away appliances.
- Keep your retainers away from pets. Dogs, especially, love to chew on them and break them.
- It may feel like there is a space between the upper retainer and the roof of your mouth. This will diminish as the retainer settles over the next few days.
- Always insert the retainer with your fingers. Never bite the retainer into place, this will damage or break it.
- Clean your retainers each time that you clean your teeth. In order to keep your retainer clean, you can use a toothbrush and whitening toothpaste or mouth rinse.
- Your retainer is made out of acrylic and is sensitive to heat. Do not place them in hot water, the dishwasher or washing machine, or leave them in a hot car. The heat could cause them to distort and make them unusable.
- Inspect your retainers for signs of breakage.
- Please bring your retainers with you to future dental appointments so that it may be inspected by the dentist.
- Call our office if you experience any pain or discomfort from your night guard.
Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions or concerns 901-751-1100.